How to make extra crispy and delicious air fryer tofu with just 5 ingredients. This easy recipe is also healthy, low calorie, high protein, oil free, and perfect for meal prep!
A lot of people are on the fence about tofu so I'm here to convert them into tofu lovers with this simple recipe! They key to good tofu is both the texture and infusing it with flavor. No one wants mushy, bland tofu!
A lot of baked tofu recipes recommend cornstarch to make it crispy which I wholeheartedly agree with, however, I don't find it necessary for air fried tofu. In fact, I don't find oil necessary either.
The beauty of an air fryer is that it can crisp things up with low oil, or even no oil at all! And isn't that the whole point of an air fryer—to make something crispy without having to deep fry it?
If you don't have an air fryer you can absolutely bake tofu in an oven (I share those directions as well) and get a similar effect. But I honestly think an air fryer is worth it.
We use ours almost daily for things like:
It's essentially a convection oven for the countertop that cooks things faster in smaller batches and fries/roasts food with hot air. We have this air fryer and I absolutely love it.
For today's easy air fried tofu recipe you only need 5 ingredients!
Firm or extra firm tofu—both will work, just make sure it's not silken tofu
RELATED: Learn about the different types of tofu and best ways to use them.
For the marinade:
low-sodium soy sauce
maple syrup or agave syrup
This tofu marinade is very similar to my stir fry marinade and makes a great base for flavoring tofu. It's also really easy to customize by adding different seasonings, hot sauce, miso paste, bbq sauce, whatever your heart desires!
This particular flavor profile goes well in most dishes from curries and stir fries, to salads and tacos.
How to air fry tofu
Start by draining the tofu and press out excess water. You can do this by wrapping the block of tofu in a clean lint-free cloth or paper towels and setting a plate or cutting board on top with weighted objects. You can also use a tofu press. Allow the tofu to press for at least 10 minutes.
Mix together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. When the tofu is ready, cut into cubes and place in a shallow dish. Add the sauce to the dish and allow the tofu to marinate for 10-15 minutes.
Preheat oven or air fryer to 400F degrees. If using an air fryer, evenly spread out the tofu and cook for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway. If using an oven, place tofu on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden, flipping halfway.
Tip: If not all the marinade was absorbed by the tofu you can use the leftovers to flavor rice or add to a stir fry.
What to serve with
Add your crispy tofu to nourish bowls, salads, wraps, rice and veggies, and stir fries.
Other tofu recipes
Other air fryer recipes
For more plant-based eats check out the Health My Lifestyle Meal Planner. It makes plant-based eating effortless with easy recipes and simple customizable meal plans designed for busy people! Try for free!
Crispy Air Fryer Tofu
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce, *
- ½ tbsp maple syrup, or agave syrup
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 16 oz extra firm tofu, or firm tofu
- Drain the tofu and press out excess water by wrapping in a clean lint-free cloth or paper towel and setting a plate or cutting board on top with weighted objects. Allow the tofu to press for at least 10 minutes.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. When the tofu is ready, cut into cubes and place in a shallow dish. Add the sauce to the dish and allow the tofu to marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven or air fryer to 400°F (205°C). If using an air fryer, evenly spread out the tofu in the air fryer basket and cook for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway. If using an oven, place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden, flipping halfway.
Nutrition Per Serving
Pin this for later: