These easy air fryer pasta chips are a simple, easy snack or appetizer that can be ready in less than 30 minutes! Full of whole grains, protein and fiber, these pasta chips are a healthier take on the regular chip but still have that satisfactory crunch!
Why you should make air fryer pasta chips
Although pasta chips have been around for awhile, they gained recent popularity thanks to Tiktok. Nick DiGiovanni posted deep fried pasta chips and the trend took off!
I love the idea of pasta chips—whole grains with lots of protein and fiber! But I prefer to cook oil free. That's where the air fryer comes in. It's a game changer in making healthier oil-free meals and snacks!
I love my Dash Air Fryer and it makes these pasta chips perfectly crispy without needing to deep fry!
You're going to love these pasta chips. They're:
- addictively delicious
- easy to make
- perfect for dipping!
Just six simple ingredients needed! Exact measurements are available in the recipe card at the bottom.
Nutritional yeast—we use this to make a wonderful dairy-free cheesy taste. Can't find nutritional yeast? Here are some nutritional yeast substitutions (I recommend cashews for this recipe) or feel free to use parmesan if you are not dairy-free.
Best type of pasta to make pasta chips
Any short pasta will do! Here are pasta brands we love that are vegan-friendly.
The following types of short pastas are the ones I recommend using to make pasta chips:
- Farfalle (bowtie)
- Conchiglie (shell)
How to make
This step by step walk-through shows the process of making pasta chips air fryer style (oven instructions are included as well). Exact times and temperatures are available in the recipe card at the bottom.
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a mixing bowl.
2. Add lemon juice and mix well. Then add seasonings and toss to coat.
3. "Fry" the pasta chips.
By air fryer: Add pasta chips evenly spread out to the air fryer basket. You may have to cook in a couple batches to make sure the air fryer isn't too crowded (I did two batches in mine). Cook for 8-12 minutes shaking a couple times to redistribute the chips.
By oven: Arrange the pasta in a single layer on a lined baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
It's ok if they aren't super crispy at first, let them cool for 10 minutes and they'll crisp up even more.
How to serve
It's common to see pasta chips served with marinara sauce. It makes sense, pasta and marinara are like peanut butter and jelly.
But these chips taste good with any dip! I love them with some honey mustard or simply some ketchup.
I'll even snack on them plain. The cheesy goodness is enough flavor for me!
If you want them even more cheesy, dip them in this dairy-free nacho cheese sauce. Seriously, it's amazing. Pesto and ranch would also go great with these pasta chips.
Yes, they work great in the oven too. Preheat to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the pasta chips out evenly in a single layer and bake for about 20 minutes, until crispy, flipping halfway.
Yes, that should absolutely work just fine. When boiling gluten-free pasta, make sure to only cook until al dente (still firm). Otherwise it may fall apart.
Store in a sealed container on the counter for up to 5 days.
More air fryer recipes
The Best Air Fryer Pasta Chips
- 8 oz whole grain pasta, * penne, bowtie, rotini, shells
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a mixing bowl.8 oz whole grain pasta
- Add lemon juice and mix well. Then add seasonings and toss to coat.1 tablespoon lemon juice, ⅓ cup nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon salt
- By air fryer: Preheat air fryer to 400F. Add pasta chips evenly spread out (you maybe have to cook in a couple batches to make sure the air fryer isn't too crowded). Cook for 8-12 minutes shaking a couple times to redistribute the chips.
- By oven: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the pasta chips in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
- It's ok if they aren't super crispy at first, let them cool for 10 minutes and they'll crisp up even more.