Quick and easy vegan ricotta made with cashews. The perfect replacement for dairy ricotta.
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in hot water for at least 15 minutes
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk or water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice lime juice works too
- 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast optional
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano optional
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
Soak raw cashews in hot water for at least 15 minutes first. This helps them to blend more smoothly. Alternatively, you can soak cashews in room temperature water overnight. Make sure the water covers the cashews completely with a little extra room as the cashews will swell.
Once the cashews have softened, place them in a blender or food processor and add the rest of the ingredients except for the milk. Blend well, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. If the "cheese" is too thick, add your plant milk of choice (I used almond milk) or water until desired consistency is reached. It should become a thick paste.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition facts based off of unsweetened almond milk.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. Freeze for longer. The liquid may separate in the refrigerator, but don't worry, just give it a good stir before serving!
Calories: 209kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 336mg | Potassium: 250mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2mg