The Best Chili Sin Carne
This healthy Chili Sin Carne is the best vegan and vegetarian chili! It's extra hearty using three different beans, making it the perfect comfort food and great for meal prep!
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 6 oz low-sodium tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½-1 teaspoon salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 15 oz cans red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 15 oz cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 15 oz cans pinto beans drained and rinsed
In a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion, garlic, celery, and carrots, and sauté until soft and translucent, adding more water as necessary to keep from sticking to the pan; about 5 minutes.
Add the bell pepper, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and spices. Sauté for couple minutes to allow the seasonings to meld.
Add the broth and beans. Stir well to combine. Increase heat to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and let the mixture simmer until it has thickened and liquid has reduced, about 15-20 minutes. Simmer for up to an hour for deeper flavor, stirring occasionally and adding more water if needed. Taste and adjust seasonings to preference.
Top with desired toppings. See notes for suggestions.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for longer.
See additional flavor variations in the above post.
- fresh chopped cilantro
- lime juice
- plain dairy-free yogurt or sour cream
- vegan nacho cheese
Calories: 502kcal | Carbohydrates: 93g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 363mg | Potassium: 1895mg | Fiber: 31g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 3710IU | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 201mg | Iron: 12mg