This vegan gravy recipe is rich and creamy and super savory—just the way gravy should be! It's also oil free, making it a healthy addition to your holiday meals.
Normally, gravy is made with lots of butter, fat, and broth. I'm going to show you how we can veganize this to a healthier, less fatty, but still great tasting the version.
The key is seasonings!
You only need 7 simple ingredients for this gravy recipe:
- cornstarch or all-purpose flour
- vegetable broth (we like Better than Bouillon—it provides the richest flavor!)
- nutritional yeast
- tahini—provides healthy fat
- low-sodium soy sauce
- onion powder
How to make
This vegan gravy recipe is so easy, it only takes 5 minutes!
Start with mixing the cornstarch with the water in a small bowl until it fully dissolves. This ensures there's no lumps when making the gravy.
In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, add all ingredients. Bring to a boil, whisking continuously. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue whisking until desired consistency is reached.
A couple of notes:
- I like my gravy more runny. If you prefer thicker gravy, double the amount of cornstarch or flour.
- This gravy does thicken as it cools so as it's sitting out on the table it will thicken more.
How to store
Store leftover gravy in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can freeze for longer storage. Allow it to cool completely before freezing, then place in an airtight freezer-safe container. Before reheating, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
How to reheat
You can reheat it on the stove or in the microwave. You may want to thin it out with extra vegetable broth or water if it has become too thick.
What to serve with
Easy Vegan Gravy (Oil-Free)
- First, in a small bowl mix the cornstarch with the water until if fully dissolves.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, add all ingredients. Bring to a boil, whisking continuously. Reduce heat and continue whisking until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Per Serving
Pin this for later: