This chili is the best chili I have ever had, and I’m not lying. Ground up shredded animal bits deserve no place in the amazingly, flavorful dish. We’re talking REAL FOOD here —> e.g. beans, tomatoes, carrots, and jalapeños for you spicy folks. We make this dish all the time and the plant-based doctors praise us for such good eating (okay, they don’t know me, but if they did—they’d be commending me for this dish!).
Three-Bean Vegan Chili
You can make this on the stovetop or in a crockpot. I’ll explain both cooking methods below. This recipe fills a 6-quart crockpot and makes enough meals to last for the week. Feel free to cut this recipe in half or freeze the extra for later if needed.
- 1 Onion Large, diced
- 5 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 3 Celery Stalks, sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Large, diced
- 2 Carrots Large, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno Diced (optional)
- 1 Can (15 oz) Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 Can (6 oz) Tomato Paste
- 2 Cans (15 oz) Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Can (15 oz) Pinto Beans
- 2 Cans (15 oz) Black Beans
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Turmeric
- ½ Tbsp Oregano
- ½ Tsp Chili powder
- ½ Tsp Cardamom (optional)
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot, place onions and garlic with a tablespoon or two of water to keep them from sticking. Stir for a few minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add jalapeños, celery, bell pepper, and carrots and stir for another few minutes, adding water as necessary to reduce sticking.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, and tomato paste and stir well.
- Next, add the beans, cumin, turmeric, oregano, chili powder, garam masala and cardamom (for an added sweetness), salt, and pepper. Mix everything together, cover, and leave simmering until liquid has reduced.
- Turn your crockpot on to high heat. Place all ingredients in the crock pot. Stir everything together, cover, and leave on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-8 hours or until heated through and the liquid has reduced.
We like splurging on a bread bowl or two to serve our chili in.
Add sweet potatoes, corn, or even lentils! Get creative with your fave ingredients!
Or add some delicious vegan cheese on top like this guy—>
Be like him. He knows what’s up.
Or maybe you’re a sour cream kind of pal.
Vegans have you covered.
So don’t fret that you can’t enjoy your chili the way you like it! Hope you give this recipe a try! xoxoWP Recipe Maker #2697