Cook sweet potatoes fast in the air fryer! They come out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. They're perfect for meal prep, adding to salads or nourish bowls, or dipping in your favorite sauce as a snack.
Why you'll love this recipe
These easy air fryer sweet potato chunks make meal time a breeze! No more long cooking times in the oven and they come out perfect every time!
Using an air fryer cuts the cooking time in half so you can make these even on busy nights.
I love cooking sweet potatoes quickly in the microwave, but sometimes I want them nice and crispy! That's when I switch to the air fryer which only takes a few minutes longer.
I use this Dash air fryer and found that I don't even need to preheat it to get great results! And truth be told, sometimes I don't even shake the basket halfway—everything still comes out crispy from all sides!
If you're a novice at air frying, this is a great beginner recipe and shows how perfectly roasted an air fryer can make sweet potato.
These roasted air fried sweet potatoes are:
- perfectly crispy on the outside
- tender on the inside
- easy to prep
- make a great side dish or great for adding to salads, nourish bowls, stir fries, etc.
How to cook sweet potato cubes in the air fryer
You only need one ingredient (sweet potatoes!) to roast sweet potatoes to perfection in an air fryer. Full details can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
1. Start by scrubbing your sweet potatoes under cold, running water to remove any dirt/debris.
2. Then slice into ½ inch cubes. Try to chop them as evenly as possible.
3. Evenly spread out your sweet potato chunks in an air fryer basket in a single layer and cook at 400F for 5 minutes. Shake the basket to flip them around, then continue cooking for 3-5 more minutes. Once they can be easily pierced with a fork, they're done.
Serve immediately to enjoy crispy. Over time they will start to soften.
What to serve with
They also taste great with just a little salt and black pepper as a side dish or dip them in your favorite sauce for a snack!
If you want to get creative with your sweet potato cubes, below are some additional flavor ideas.
Savory flavors (mix and match or add a dash of them all!):
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
- Ground cinnamon
- Coconut sugar
- Maple syrup
Toss in your favorite seasonings before cooking.
For one sweet potato I've found that 8 minutes total is plenty of time to cook thoroughly. If cooking 2 sweet potatoes at once, add 3-5 more minutes.
Work in batches if needed to avoid overfilling your air fryer. You don't want your sweet potato chunks to touch if possible, so that they cook evenly on all sides.
Try to slice your cubes to all be similar in size. This makes sure they all cook evenly in the same amount of time.
Storage and reheating
Store cooked sweet potato in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze for longer.
Reheat in the air fryer for a few minutes to maintain crispiness. You can also reheat in the microwave for a minute or two if crispiness is not desired. Increase time if reheating from frozen.
Sweet potatoes have less starch content than white potatoes so there's no need to soak them to remove the starch before air frying. They crisp up just fine without soaking.
It's completely up to your personal preference. I love potato skins, plus they hold extra fiber and nutrients so I never peel. If you prefer yours without the peel, feel free to remove them. Cooking time and temperature stays the same regardless.
If you're cooking from frozen, I recommend preheating your air fryer first. Do this by setting the desired temperature and allowing it to run for 3 minutes first before adding food. Evenly spread out the frozen sweet potato chunks in the air fryer and cook until heated through and crispy.
It could be that you're not cooking them for long enough—perhaps because your air fryer is not as powerful. Add a couple minutes at a time until you see the outside start to brown. You could also spray your sweet potatoes with a little oil to help, but I've achieved crispy results without any oil.
More easy air fryer recipes
Easy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chunks
- 1 medium sweet potato
- Start by scrubbing your sweet potatoes under cold running water to remove and dirt/debris.
- Then slice into ½ inch cubes. Try to chop them as evenly as possible.
- Evenly spread out your sweet potato chunks in an air fryer basket in a single layer and cook at 400°F for 5 minutes. Flip, then continue cooking for 3-5 more minutes until crispy and starting to brown on the outside. Pierce with a fork to check for doneness.
- Serve immediately to enjoy crispy as they soften over time.