Want a delicious birthday cake smoothie that's also healthy? This shake is your answer! It's completely plant-based, boasts 14 grams of protein, is dairy-free and has no added sugar (except for sprinkles). Tastes like a delicious birthday cake in a cup!
You can have cake that's healthy too! Liquid cake, that is. You could also have healthy cake cake too like this Healthy Carrot Cake recipe that's gluten and sugar free (although you'd never know it!). But today I wanted to share an easy dessert treat that takes only 5 minutes!
Those birthday cake batter milkshakes are incredibly delicious and do have real cake batter in them but they are full of sugar and saturated fat. Most contain ice cream but there's a better, healthier way to make a thick milkshake without it and I'm going to show you how!
If you've tried my One-Ingredient Ice Cream, you know that there's an easy way to make dairy-free soft serve at home. We're going to use that same concept in a milkshake!
We're also going to thicken it with some healthy, plant-based proteins. These options turn this shake into a healthy, filling drink that you can drink daily if you want (but maybe not always with sprinkles and whipped cream unless that's your jam).
Here's what you need:
- frozen bananas—our dairy-free ice cream substitute
- dairy-free milk of choice—I used soy milk since it is higher protein than other non-dairy milks
- vanilla and almond extract—to replicate the birthday cake flavor
- dates—as a natural sweetener
- vanilla dairy-free yogurt—to thicken and flavor
- rolled oats—to thicken and add some protein
- hemp seeds—for more healthy plant-based protein
- ice cubes—to thicken
- sprinkles + coconut whipped cream, optional
For more protein you can add protein powder. Vanilla flavor would work best or even a birthday cake flavored protein powder. Just keep in mind that commercial protein powders will typically have some added sugar if you're concerned about that.
How to make
I recommend using a high-speed blender to thoroughly process the ingredients. If you don't have a high-speed blender, soak the dates in hot water for 15-30 minutes.
Start by adding the oats, yogurt, and milk first. Add the extracts, dates, and hemp seeds, followed by the frozen bananas.
Blend thoroughly until smooth. If you want it thicker, add 1-2 cups of ice cubes and blend again.
I topped mine with coconut whipped cream. You can make your own or use store-bought. I like the truwhip brand which is dairy-free and can be found at Kroger stores.
For sprinkles I used the 365 brand from Whole Foods. They are vegan. If you want to use vegan sprinkles make sure they don't contain Confectioner's Glaze which comes from insects. I believe the Simple Truth Rainbow Sprinkles from Kroger are vegan as well.
To get sprinkles to stick to the rim, first dip the rim of your glass in a little maple syrup, then roll the rim in sprinkles. Makes it even more festive like a Funfetti shake!
- Don't like bananas? You can swap them for any frozen fruit. Just keep in mind it will change the overall flavor. I suggest some frozen avocados (cut into chunks before freezing) to make it still filling but won't contribute to the flavor as much—will just add a bit of green color. Add additional sweetener if needed such as more dates or maple syrup.
- Want it sweeter? More dates, maple syrup, agave syrup, or this easy homemade vegan honey will help sweeten it more.
- Want more protein? Add some plant-based protein powder.
If you’re looking for more easy, healthy recipes the Health My Lifestyle Meal Planner is full of them! You can easily narrow down exactly what you’re looking for with the extensive filtering options, plan out your week in seconds or grab a pre-made plan, track your calories and goals, and more! Try it for free! Check out the Meal Planner here.
Healthy Birthday Cake Protein Shake | Dairy Free
- coconut whipped cream
- rainbow sprinkles
- I recommend using a high-speed blender to thoroughly process the ingredients. If you don't have a high-speed blender, soak the dates in hot water for 15-30 minutes.
- Start by adding the oats, yogurt, and milk first. Add the extracts, dates, and hemp seeds next, followed by the frozen bananas.
- Blend thoroughly until smooth. If you want it thicker, add 1-2 cups of ice cubes and blend again.
Nutrition Per Serving
Pin this for later: