This roasted chili corn salsa is made with 6 simple ingredients in less than 5 minutes! It follows Chipotle's original recipe, and is incredibly fresh, crunchy, tangy, and delicious!
Why this recipe works
- Made following Chipotle's original recipe! This recipe tastes almost identical to the corn salsa you get at Chipotle Mexican Grill.
- Ready with 6 simple ingredients.
- Customizable and versatile.
- Diet-friendly. This recipe is naturally vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, and low in fat.
Get ready for a taste sensation that'll make your taste buds dance with joy! Whip up this incredible roasted chili corn salsa with just six fantastic ingredients. It's so easy-peasy, you'll be salsa-ing your way through the grocery store in no time, picking up everything you need for this delightful culinary adventure!
- Yellow or white corn: Chipotle's original recipe uses white corn. I'm using frozen sweet corn, which also works well.
- Jalapeño peppers: They are essential ingredients for adding spiciness and a kick of flavor. You can also use Serrano peppers. For a more mild option green bell peppers can be used.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro is a key ingredient in any salsa, as it gives both freshness and flavor.
- Red onion: You can also use white or yellow onions, or alternatively, green onions.
- Lime juice: Citrus juice adds a refreshing zing to this roasted chili corn salsa recipe! Make sure to use freshly-squeezed lime juice, not the one that comes in a bottle. It makes a BIG difference! Lemon juice also works well.
- Salt: To enhance the rest of the flavors.
How to make Chipotle's roasted chili corn salsa
If you haven't already, thaw and drain your frozen corn. Alternatively, you can boil it on the stove following the instructions on the packaging.
When ready, add to a large bowl and toss with the salt.
Prep the rest of the ingredients. Use a sharp knife to chop the jalapeño, red onion, and cilantro.
Add the rest of the ingredients—chopped fresh cilantro, red onion, diced jalapeño pepper, and lime juice—to the corn.
Toss to coat. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed, adding more salt for saltiness, or lime juice for tanginess.
Either serve right away or marinate in the fridge for 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop.
Enjoy with tortilla chips, tacos, burrito bowls, etc.!
- Dice the ingredients finely. You want everything to be evenly distributed in the salsa, rather than having big chunks.
- Wear gloves when cutting spicy peppers. The spicy oils that get released from the peppers get into your skin and stay even after you wash your hands. For safety, wear kitchen gloves and avoid touching your eyes, face, or other sensitive areas.
- Make it less spicy by removing the membranes and the seeds of the jalapeno peppers.
- Use fresh, high-quality ingredients! Fresh cilantro, lime juice, and onion are essential for packing as much flavor as possible into this recipe. Don't skim it by using dry cilantro or bottled lime juice,
- Try it the next day! This roasted chili corn salsa tastes even better the next day when the flavors have marinated and further developed.
Chipotle posted the ingredients for their famous corn salsa on their Instagram a while back. It consists of corn, onion, fresh cilantro, lime juice, jalapenos, and salt.
Yes, you can make this salsa 3-4 days in advance.
Depending on your taste buds, this recipe tastes mild to medium. If you're sensitive to heat, I recommend starting with a small amount of diced jalapenos (1 tablespoon), then adding more as needed. You can also remove the pith and seeds before dicing to make it less spicy.
Yes, this salsa freezes well in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Keep in mind that the texture will change, and it won't be as crunchy as fresh.
Make this copycat chipotle corn salsa recipe your own by switching it up and let your creativity shine! Here are some fun variations to try:
- Canned corn: Canned corn will also work, just make sure to drain the liquid it comes with.
- Roasted: You can bake your corn kernel in a preheated oven to 375ºF (190ºC) for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through, or until golden and crispy. Adding roasted poblano pepper also adds a delicious smoky flavor. Simply roast directly on a gas stove until charred and blistered.
- Grilled corn: If you have an outdoor grill, I highly recommend you cook your corn on it. It will give it a smoky and charred flavor, but will still remain crunchy and fresh.
- Fresh corn: If you have fresh corn, cook it in salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes. Let it cool in a bowl full of ice water, then carefully cut the corn with a knife use it in this recipe!
- Make it spicier: Either double the amount of jalapeños needed or use habanero peppers or chili peppers instead.
- Add more fresh herbs: Parsley, mint, and fresh oregano all have their own unique flavor that would complement this roasted chili corn salsa.
- Add veggies and/or fruits: Black beans, cubed avocado or mango, diced tomatoes, red bell pepper or cucumbers would really pop in this recipe!
Let your imagination run wild and create a fresh salsa that is uniquely yours! Let us know in the comments which variation is your favorite!
What to serve with corn salsa
This roasted chili corn salsa pairs perfectly with my vegan tofu tacos, or with any kind of burrito, burrito bowl, or taco salad.
For the perfect appetizer to any fiesta, simply serve with your favorite chips or veggies for dipping and scooping!
How to store leftovers
Transfer to an airtight container and cover with a lid. Store in the fridge for 6-7 days.
More Dips and Sauces
If you liked this copycat of Chipotle's corn salsa and are looking for more easy recipes, check out some of these great recipes:
- Vegan Ceviche made with hearts of palm is easy to make and has a fresh flavor that pairs perfectly with tortillas chips, tostadas, or rice!
- Homemade Vegan Tartar Sauce is a breeze to whip up with just 8 simple ingredients!
- This is the Best Vegan Guacamole with all the classic flavors and it's quick to prepare.
- The Best Vegan Nacho Cheese recreates the perfect nacho-y flavor for a delicious yet healthy dip!
Roasted Chili Corn Salsa (Best Chipotle Copycat)
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn, thawed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup red onion, finely diced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ cup jalapeño peppers, finely diced
- ¼ cup freshly-squeezed lime juice, about 2 limes
- Add the corn and salt to a large mixing bowl and mix well.2 cups frozen sweet corn, ½ teaspoon salt
- Add the rest of the ingredients and toss well until everything is well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired by adding more salt, lime juice, cilantro, or jalapeño.½ cup red onion, ½ cup fresh cilantro, ¼ cup jalapeño peppers, ¼ cup freshly-squeezed lime juice
- Serve right away or marinate it in the fridge for 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop. Enjoy it with corn chips or served on burritos, taco salads, tostadas, or whatever else you prefer!