This delicious and filling tofu tacos recipe is made with crispy tofu and topped with sliced red cabbage, green onions, salsa, lime juice, and cilantro. It's packed with protein, fiber and flavor! These tofu tacos also come together in 30 minutes and are perfect for taco night or meal prep!
Why this recipe works
Tofu is one of those versatile ingredients that can take on the flavor of any dish. In this tofu taco recipe we use an easy marinade to give the tofu a more Mexican-inspired flavor.
This recipe uses crispy tofu bites adapted from my Air Fryer Tofu recipe but you could also crumble tofu and bake it to be more like ground beef.
Why we love these tofu tacos:
-simple to make
-meal prep friendly
-easy to customize and add additional flavors or ingredients
-perfect for Taco Tuesday
-ready in 30 minutes or less
They also boasts over 14 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber per serving!
Extra firm tofu—holds its shape and absorbs flavors well, making it a great choice for this tofu taco recipe!
RELATED: Learn about the different types of tofu and the best ways to use them.
For the marinade:
low-sodium soy sauce
maple syrup—or agave syrup
chili powder—optional, more if you prefer spicy tofu
For the taco and fillings:
corn tortillas or your preferred taco shells
The following shows the step-by-step process for these vegan tofu tacos. Exact times and temperatures are available in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Start by draining the tofu and press out excess water. You can do this by wrapping the block of tofu in a clean lint-free cloth or paper towels and setting a plate or cutting board on top with weighted objects or by using a tofu press. Allow the tofu to press for at least 10 minutes.
Step 2: Mix together the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. When the tofu is ready, cut into cubes and place in a shallow dish. Add the marinade to the dish and allow the tofu cubes to marinate for 10-15 minutes.
Step 3: Preheat oven or air fryer to 400F degrees. If using an air fryer, evenly spread out the tofu and cook for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway. If using an oven, place tofu on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden, flipping halfway.
Step 4: Meanwhile, prep the veggies. Remove the outer leaves from the cabbage, slice in half, then slice in half again, then slice into thin strips. For the cilantro, wash then chop the leaves (and stems if you like).
Step 5: Assemble your tofu tacos. Warm up your corn tortillas on a skillet or in a microwave, then top with the crispy tofu taco meat, sliced red cabbage, salsa, chopped cilantro and a drizzle of lime juice.
RELATED: see which are the best vegan tortillas or make your own!
More favorite toppings:
Shredded vegan cheese
Vegan sour cream
Store everything separate in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Tofu will last up to 4 days. For maximum crispiness, reheat in an air fryer or oven.
To make this extra hearty, add black beans. Use the leftover marinade and heat them up with it in a non-stick pan or simply sprinkle with a taco seasoning packet and add to the tacos.
Want tofu crumbles instead of cubes? Crumble the tofu into a large bowl and add the marinade, toss to combine. Then bake until golden and crispy.
More meal prep friendly recipes
If you enjoyed these easy tofu tacos you'll love these other easy recipes:
For more plant-based eats check out the Health My Lifestyle Meal Planner. It makes plant-based eating effortless with easy recipes and simple customizable meal plans designed for busy people! Try for free!
Crispy Vegan Tofu Tacos
- 16 oz extra firm tofu, or firm tofu
For the marinade:
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce, *
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup, or agave syrup
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, optional, more if you like it spicier
For the taco:
- ¼ red cabbage
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 stalks green onions, sliced
- 1 cup prepared salsa, I used a mango salsa
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- Drain the tofu and press out excess water by wrapping in a clean lint-free cloth or paper towel and setting a plate or cutting board on top with weighted objects. Allow the tofu to press for at least 10 minutes.16 oz extra firm tofu
- Mix together the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. When the tofu is ready, cut into cubes and place in a shallow dish. Add the marinade to the dish and allow the tofu to marinate for 10-15 minutes.¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce, ½ tablespoon maple syrup, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven or air fryer to 400°F (205°C). If using an air fryer, evenly spread out the tofu in the air fryer basket and cook for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway. If using an oven, place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden, flipping halfway.
- Meanwhile, prep the veggies. Remove the outer leaves from the cabbage, slice in half, then slice in half again, then slice into thin strips. For the cilantro, wash then chop the leaves (and stems if you like). Wash and thinly slice the green part of the green onion.¼ red cabbage, ½ bunch cilantro, 2 stalks green onions
- Assemble the tacos. Warm up your corn tortillas on a skillet or in a microwave, then top with crispy tofu pieces, sliced red cabbage, salsa, chopped cilantro, green onion, and a drizzle of lime juice.1 lime, 1 cup prepared salsa, 8-10 corn tortillas
- Shredded lettuce
- Red onion
- Diced tomatoes
- Avocado slices
- Shredded vegan cheese
- Vegan sour cream
- Hot sauce
Nutrition Per Serving
This recipe was updated July 2022 with additional tips and information.
Pin this for later: