These chocolate peanut butter stuffed dates are the perfect healthy snack! They come together in minutes for a quick treat yet are impressive enough to serve as a party appetizer or dessert. They also freeze well for a tasty cold treat! You can't go wrong with these dates with peanut butter and chocolate!
Why this recipe works
If you love dessert as much as I do, you know it can be hard to find something that is both healthy and satisfying.
When you want something sweet, it's gotta deliver!
That's what makes these chocolate peanut butter stuffed dates the ultimate dessert! They're incredibly delicious and definitely satisfy the sweet tooth, but they're made with no added sugar!
If you've never had peanut butter dates covered in chocolate, you're in for a treat! They taste like a Snickers candy bar, but are made with ingredients you can feel good about!
Not only are stuffed dates better for you, but they only require a few ingredients so you can make them in a snap whenever the craving hits!
They make an easy kid-friendly snack, crowd-pleasing dessert, and if you make them look like chocolate "eggs" they make a great Easter treat!
These chocolate covered peanut butter stuffed dates are:
- Quick and easy
- Healthier dessert
- Incredibly delicious!
Are dates healthy?
Dates have a plethora of health benefits. They are full of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, including phosphorus, potassium, calcium and magnesium.
Dates are naturally dehydrated so their sugar content is more concentrated than other fruits but the combination of fiber helps to slow the release of sugar into the bloodstream. In fact, dates are actually considered a low-glycemic food.
Combining a nut butter with dates adds some protein which makes this a more healthy and balanced snack full of healthy fats, protein, and fiber!
These chocolate peanut butter dates only require 3 ingredients! Exact measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
Dates—Medjool or Deglet Noor. Just make sure they're soft. If your dates are too dry, they are harder to pit and stuff. You can typically find dates in the produce section or dried fruit aisle.
Natural peanut butter—or any preferred nut butter. Opt for natural when possible as it contains no added sugar, salt or oil. For a nut-free option use tahini or sunflower seed butter. You can use a crunchy peanut butter to get a closer texture to Snickers!
Dairy-free chocolate chips—I use these by Enjoy Life. If you prefer processed-free ingredients, you can omit the chocolate, as peanut butter dates taste delicious too!
How to make stuffed dates
This step-by-step walkthrough shows the process of making these chocolate covered peanut butter stuffed dates. For exact times and measurements, reference the recipe card below.
1. Start by slicing the dates open lengthwise, careful not to slice all the way through. Remove the pit if they came whole.
2. Put a teaspoon of peanut butter or preferred nut butter into each date. Place on a plate and pop into the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up.
3. Meanwhile, add the dairy-free chocolate chips to a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 30-second intervals until melted.
4. Once the peanut butter dates have set up, remove them from the freezer and dip them into the chocolate one at a time. Use a fork to scoop them out of the chocolate and place back on the plate.
Optionally, you can drizzle them with additional melted chocolate.
Place them back in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
How to store
These can be stored in an airtight container in either the refrigerator or freezer. These stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to a week or several months in the freezer.
These make a great cold treat in the summer when stored in the freezer but if you prefer them soft, allow them to thaw in the refrigerator for a couple hours before serving.
Which dates are best for stuffing?
Any date will work! Some prefer the larger Medjool dates which tend to be softer and have a more caramel-like flavor but the smaller Deglet Noor dates, although firmer, still have a deliciously sweet flavor.
And in case you didn't know, dates should be stored in the refrigerator or freezer after opening! Don't make the same mistake I did when I first bought them and put them in the pantry. They will become dry and hard.
Can I prepare these in advance?
Yes, these are great to prep ahead. They take less than 30 minutes to prepare and can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to serve.
If you enjoyed this recipe please leave a comment below and give it 5 stars! Or on Pinterest (don’t forget to follow me!) and please help me share on facebook!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Stuffed Dates
- 12 small dates, or six large ones
- ¼ cup all-natural peanut butter, *
- ½ cup Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
- Start by slicing the dates open lengthwise, careful not to slice all the way through. Remove the pit if they came whole.12 small dates
- Put a teaspoon of peanut butter or preferred nut butter into each date. Place on a plate and pop into the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up.¼ cup all-natural peanut butter
- Meanwhile, add the dairy-free chocolate chips to a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring in between until it is almost completely melted, then stir to smooth out the last remaining clumps. This ensures you don't overcook and burn the chocolate.½ cup Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
- Once the peanut butter dates have set up, remove them from the freezer and dip them into the melted chocolate one at a time. Use a fork to scoop them out of the chocolate and place back on the plate. For less mess, line the plate with wax or parchment paper if desired.Optionally, you can drizzle the dates with additional melted chocolate.
- Place them back in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
Delish and quick/easy!!!
I'm so glad 😀
I'm a big fan of chocolate and peanut butter. Loving this with the dates and that it's better for me. Yummy!
I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! I'm a big fan of chocolate and peanut butter too 🙂
Love this healthy snack. My kids really ate these up too. Love finding a kid friendly snack that I enjoy too!
I'm so glad you all enjoyed them!
Once I saw these and realized that I already had everything at home, I knew that I had to make a stash to keep in the freezer pronto! No regrets - they are so good!
Haha love that! I've got a stash in my freezer too 😉
Oh my goodness, these are so good! They completely satisfy my sugar cravings and I don't feel bad about eating them!
Yay, I'm so glad!!