These 3-ingredient cookies are perfect for breakfast, snack or dessert! They're healthy, ready in less than 20 minutes and are gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free! They're the perfect healthy treat when you have a sweet tooth!
Why this recipe works
When you have ripe bananas, sure you could make banana bread, but you can also whip up a quick batch of cookies with just 3 ingredients! These cookies are completely egg-free and flourless but taste just like mini chocolate chip banana bread bites!
This easy 3-ingredient cookie recipe is also healthy, using bananas and oats as the base. In fact, you could make this a 2-ingredient banana oatmeal cookie. The chocolate chips are a nice addition but definitely not necessary!
These cookies still satisfy the cravings without the excessive calories and fat typically found in sweets. And they also can make a great on-the-go breakfast option! Yes, that's right—cookies for breakfast! That's because these could also pass for baked oatmeal bites. I'm giving them lots of names but call them what you like!
Just three simple, easy to find ingredients—short and sweet! Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements.
Bananas—ripe is best. The more brown spots, the better, as they'll make for a sweeter cookie.
Oats—rolled oats or quick oats are recommended. Anything else will be too hardy for the banana to soak into and will leave you with dry cookies.
Chocolate chips—I like these dairy-free ones but any will do. You can also use cacao nibs for a sugar-free option.
How to make banana oatmeal cookies
This step by step walk-through shows the process of making 3-ingredient banana oatmeal cookies. Exact times and temperatures are available in the recipe card at the bottom.
1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mash the banana smooth with a fork until only small chunks remain.
2. Add oats and mix well. If mixture seems dry add a little water. If too wet, add more oats.
3. Stir in chocolate chips to evenly distribute.
4. Use a tablespoon to scoop mixture out and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Press down slightly to shape cookies. Bake for 12-15 minutes at 350F until golden and chocolate chips have started to melt. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before eating.
How to store
If you've somehow managed to not eat all of the cookies in one sitting, you can store them in an airtight container on the countertop for a couple days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To freeze cookies, allow to cool to room temperature, then place in a freezer-safe container. Cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator before consuming or heat in a microwave for 20-30 seconds.
- Quick oats and rolled oats are best. Quick oats absorb more liquid but rolled oats work great as well for a heartier cookie. You can also you a combination of both together.
- These cookies do not spread when baking so form them into a cookie shape if desired. You can also just scoop the batter and "drop" it on the baking tray. They don't have to be pretty!
- The ripened banana adds the sweetness but if you don't have bananas you can use applesauce as well. About ¼-1/2 cup for one banana. If you do have a banana but it isn't ripened yet, you can blend it up in a food processor or blender first to make it easier to mash, then add a splash of maple or agave syrup for some sweetness. You may need to add more oats to balance it out.
- Got a whole bunch of ripened bananas? Double or triple the recipe! It's easy to eat a lot of these since they're so delicious—I highly recommend making a large batch if you have more bananas!
More healthy and easy dessert recipes
3 Ingredient Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mash the banana smooth until only small chunks remain.1 banana
- Add in the oats and mix well.½ cup rolled oats
- Lastly, mix in the chocolate chips. You can add in a small amount of water if the mixture is to dry or add more oats if it is too wet.¼ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Use a tablespoon to scoop the mixture out and place on the cookie sheet. You can roll them up more or flatten them out. These cookies dont spread when baking
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes. If you double the recipe you may want to increase the bake time to 15-18 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before eating.
Nutrition Per Serving
This recipe was updated with new photos and helpful tips on September 3, 2021.