This post may contain affiliate links. Read my policy page for more information.
This silken tofu scramble is bursting with flavor and boasts a delightfully egg-like texture. Serve it over toast or turn it into a delicious silken tofu scramble breakfast sandwich! Made with a handful of easy to find ingredients and ready in less than 10 minutes, you can have yourself a filling and satisfying breakfast!
Silken tofu has emerged as a game-changing alternative for vegans and those seeking a healthy, plant-based breakfast option. By replacing traditional eggs with silken tofu, a versatile and protein-rich ingredient, this cruelty-free creation offers a compassionate choice without compromising on taste.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can make silken tofu scrambled eggs with a remarkably eggy flavor that proves plant-based breakfasts can be both satisfying and delicious.
Why you’ll love this silken tofu scramble
Minimal effort in the kitchen makes this recipe a true winner that you will undoubtedly adore! Here are more reasons to love this recipe:
- Easy Egg Substitute: Silken tofu provides a wonderful alternative to traditional scrambled eggs, catering to vegans, vegetarians, and those with dietary restrictions. By using silken tofu as the base, this recipe is completely plant-based and cruelty-free, making it an excellent choice for individuals seeking compassionate and sustainable food options.
- Versatile: The tofu absorbs the flavors of the seasonings and spices, creating a savory and aromatic dish. Whether you prefer a classic scramble with herbs and spices or want to experiment with more adventurous flavors, such as turmeric, cumin, or nutritional yeast, the versatility of silken tofu allows for endless possibilities to suit your taste preferences.
- Healthy: Tofu is an excellent source of plant-based protein, making it a valuable addition to a balanced diet. It also contains essential amino acids, iron, calcium, and other nutrients, contributing to overall health and well-being.
- Easy: This tofu scramble recipe is incredibly easy to prepare. With just a few simple steps, even novice cooks can whip up a delicious and visually appealing breakfast in no time. It’s ideal for busy mornings or lazy weekend brunches, ensuring that you can enjoy a wholesome and flavorful meal without the fuss.
- Silken tofu – Its velvety and creamy texture is reminiscent of traditional scrambled eggs. Silken tofu has a delicate and soft consistency, which, when combined with the right ingredients and cooking techniques, mimics the smoothness of eggs remarkably well. The result is a scramble that is both satisfyingly hearty and pleasingly silky, ensuring a delightful mouthfeel with each bite. Feel free to use extra firm tofu or regular tofu if that’s what you have on hand!
- Kala namak – Also known as black salt, this is the secret ingredient to mimicking the taste of real scrambled eggs!
- Turmeric powder – A key ingredient to provide the yellow color needed to replicate the color of real eggs. A little goes a long way!
- Nutritional yeast – Often used in vegan cheese, nutritional yeast aids in the yellow color and adds a cheesy, nutty umami flavor to the silken tofu scramble.
- Seasonings – Garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper all pair perfectly with this silken tofu recipe. For extra flavor and color, top it with fresh herbs like parsley or green onion.
For a complete list of ingredients, reference the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make silken tofu scramble
To prepare the silken tofu scramble, start by draining any excess liquid from the tofu. Using a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, break up the block of tofu into crumbles using your hands. It’s perfectly fine if the tofu remains in large pieces at this stage.
Next, add the nutritional yeast, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper to the skillet. Mix everything together well, ensuring the spices are evenly distributed.
Allow the tofu to cook for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking. Use a silicone spatula or wooden spoon to further break up the tofu crumbles into smaller pieces.
Once the excess moisture has evaporated and the tofu has thickened to your liking, turn off the heat and stir in the black salt. Taste and adjust seasonings by adding more salt or black pepper to suit your taste preferences.
For a vegan scramble, either soft silken tofu, firm silken tofu, firm tofu, or extra-firm tofu can be used. Since it’s broken down into small pieces, any type will work. For stir-fries where you want to maintain the shape of the tofu pieces, it’s best to use firm tofu or extra firm tofu. Silken tofu does not hold its shape well.
Soft tofu and silken tofu are essentially the same thing and are interchangeable. The name varies depending on the brand, but both are blocks of tofu that have been pressed for the least amount of time and have a milder flavor than firmer tofus.
Any type of tofu, including silken tofu, can be eaten raw. This is because the tofu has already been cooked in the process so it’s not technically raw, as much as it is unprepared.
How to serve this vegan silken tofu scramble
This soft tofu scramble can be served in much the same way as any egg scramble. When it comes to serving this scrambled tofu, the possibilities are endless. Here are a few suggestions to inspire your culinary creativity:
- Classic breakfast: Serve the silken tofu scramble as the star of a traditional breakfast plate. Pair it with crispy hash browns or roasted potatoes, add a side of vegan bacon, and some toasted whole-grain bread.
- Breakfast burritos: Wrap the silken tofu in a warm tortilla for a delicious and portable breakfast option. Load it up with your favorite fillings like black beans, sautéed onions and peppers, and sliced avocado or guacamole. For an extra kick, drizzle some hot sauce or salsa on top.
- Savory Sandwich: Transform your morning toast by turning it into a delicious breakfast sandwich. Fill it with the silken tofu scramble and top it with avocado slices, spinach, tomatoes, and a drizzle of hot sauce. For extra flavor, add some pickled onions and an additional sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
- Tofu Scramble Bowl: Create a vibrant and nourishing breakfast bowl by layering the silken tofu scramble with a variety of toppings. Start with a base of cooked quinoa, brown rice, or mixed greens, top it with the tofu scramble and add your favorite vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, or sweet potatoes. Finish if off with a drizzle of your preferred dressing or sauce.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat by microwave or skillet as desired, or serve cold.
More vegan recipes for breakfast
- For something sweet, this vegan french toast made with Just Egg is a must-try!
- If you’re looking for a healthier version of bacon, this carrot bacon is deliciously crispy!
- Enjoy some savory breakfast muffins that make eating your vegetables easy!
- Indulge in a tall stack of thick and fluffy eggless pancakes!
The Best Silken Tofu Scramble
- 2 blocks firm silken tofu ~28 ounces
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon black salt or regular salt
Optional Breakfast Sandwich Ingredients
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 1 roma tomato sliced
- 1 avocado sliced or mashed
- 1 cup spinach
- hot sauce
- Drain the excess liquid from the tofu. Over a large nonstick skillet on low-medium heat, use your hands to break up the block of tofu into crumbles. It's ok if the tofu is still in large chunks at this point.2 blocks firm silken tofu
- Add the nutritional yeast, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper, and mix well.2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, black pepper
- Allow the tofu to cook down for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking. Use a silicone spatula or wooden spoon to break up the tofu crumbles into smaller pieces if desired. The water will begin to evaporate from the pan as it cooks.
- Once the tofu scramble has thickened to your liking, turn off the heat and stir the black salt into the mixture. Taste the scramble, then add any extra salt & black pepper to taste. Can serve as-is or turn into a hearty breakfast sandwich.½ teaspoon black salt
- Optional breakfast sandwich: Toast the bread if desired, then slice or mash your avocado onto your toast. Top with spinach, tomato, and the silken tofu scramble. Add hot sauce or other spread as desired. Serve and enjoy!