If you're the kind of person that likes an easy dump and bake type recipe, this one is for you! This baked vegan pasta takes hardly any time to prepare—simply mix your ingredients together, dump them into your baking dish, and bake. It couldn't get easier!
This recipe has been updated with new photos and helpful tips on January 19th, 2022.
Why this recipe works
This baked pasta vegan style is the easiest dump and bake recipe! No boiling necessary—just mix, dump and bake! It comes together in minutes for busy weeknights yet perfect for meal prep!
We love lazy vegan recipes like this. This casserole is perfect when you're not motivated to cook or don't have much time to be in the kitchen.
And it only requires 10 simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand!
While it's cooking it gives your kitchen a delicious pizza aroma! It almost tastes like a deconstructed lasagna. We've been making this recipe a lot lately. It's packed with protein from both the whole grain pasta and the tofu so it's super filling!
You're going to love this easy baked vegan pasta, it's:
- quick and easy
- 21 grams of protein per serving
- cozy and delicious
- a family favorite
- perfect for meal prep or busy weeknights!
Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements.
The easy vegan casserole can be broken down into two parts:
The base: Crushed tomatoes, firm tofu (or firm silken tofu), vegan pasta of choice, and seasonings.
The topping: I prefer sliced zucchini but eggplant, or tomato slices with black olives would be tasty as well.
How to make
This step by step walk-through shows the process of making baked vegan pasta. Exact times and temperatures are available in the recipe card at the bottom.
In a large mixing bowl add your crushed tomatoes. Then add in the spices and seasonings and mix well.
Next you'll add the tofu. Crumble it into small bite-sized pieces and stir into the mixture.
Add the pasta and stir well so that it's evenly coated by the tomato mixture. Then dump it into a large casserole baking dish and top with zucchini, eggplant, or some tomato slices with black olives (yum!).
Bake at 425F for 40-45 minutes until pasta is cooked through.
I have used both firm tofu and firm silken tofu for the recipe because it crumbles easily. I think any type of tofu could work but if you are using extra-firm tofu you will want to crumble it with your hands to make sure it breaks into smaller pieces.
No need to press your tofu for this but you will want to drain the extra liquid from the tofu package before adding it in.
Nope! The great thing about this casserole is that all the cooking is done for you in the oven. The liquid from the tomatoes and tofu cooks the pasta, so there's no need to precook or pre-boil it.
Yes! This baked vegan pasta actually freezes really well. Store it in a freezer-safe container. You can freeze individual servings to make it easier to reheat in the microwave or oven, otherwise, allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator first.
Want more high protein pastas? These 20+ vegan pasta recipes have over 15 grams of protein serving.
I shared this recipe from the Health My Lifestyle Meal Planner as part of a free online vegan meal prep cooking class in conjunction with Travel Tribe to help raise funds those impacted by the lockdown the most.
If you missed the class, it's still available to watch on my Facebook page! I show you how to make this PLUS the One-Pot Coconut Lentil Curry and the Snickerdoodle Mug Cake in LESS THAN ONE HOUR. Who said meal prep has to take all day?!
Easy Baked Vegan Pasta
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes canned
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 28 oz firm tofu
- 8 oz whole grain pasta or lentil pasta, *rotini or penne
- 1 zucchini, large, sliced into ½ inch thick rounds
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC).
- In a large bowl, mix together the crushed tomatoes and seasonings.4 cups crushed tomatoes canned, 2 teaspoon dried basil, ½ teaspoon oregano, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Crumble the tofu over the bowl to break it into smaller pieces, then stir to evenly distribute.28 oz firm tofu
- Add the pasta and stir well to mix, then transfer into a large casserole dish. Line the top with a layer of zucchini rounds (or your preferred topping). Bake in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes. The zucchini should be roasted and golden brown (if it starts to burn, set a piece of foil on top).8 oz whole grain pasta or lentil pasta, 1 zucchini
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Nutrition Per Serving
This recipe first appeared in the Health My Lifestyle Meal Planner.
For more plant-based eats check out the Health My Lifestyle Meal Planner. It makes plant-based eating effortless with easy recipes and simple customizable meal plans designed for busy people! Try for free!