This air fryer gnocchi is by far the best way to prepare gnocchi! Comes out crispy on outside and tender on the inside—much better than boiling or pan frying! Even works with other types of gnocchi like cauliflower gnocchi and is ready in less than 15 minutes!
Why this works
Air frying gnocchi is a great cooking alternative that delivers a delicious texture combination of both crispy and tender. If you've cooked gnocchi before you may be used to boiling or pan frying but air frying is where it's at.
It's quick to make and less messy than pan frying. Plus, there's no need for oil. It still comes out perfectly golden and crispy without it!
My Dash Air Fryer never fails to turn this simple dish into something fancy, even when I'm short on time.
Why crispy air fryer gnocchi is the best:
- Less mess
- crispy texture
- healthier than pan frying
Which gnocchi is best for air frying?
You can air fry all types of gnocchi. Today I am using Trader Joe's Frozen Cauliflower Gnocchi but I have also done this with sweet potato gnocchi, traditional potato gnocchi, shelf-stable and fresh gnocchi. You'll just need to adjust the times slightly.
Here's my recommended cook time for air frying:
- Frozen gnocchi—12-14 minutes
- Chilled gnocchi—10-12 minutes
- Shelf stable gnocchi—8-10 minutes
Most grocery stores carry some form of gnocchi either in the pasta aisle or near the frozen or refrigerated foods. You can't go wrong with any variety!
How to make
These process photos show how to make air fryer cauliflower gnocchi but this cooking process applies to any gnocchi variety. Reference the recipe card at the bottom of this post for additional information.
Step 1: Preheat your air fryer for 3-5 minutes at 400F.
Step 2: Place gnocchi in the air fryer basket or tray and spread out evenly into a single layer with space in between.
Step 3: Air fry for 12-14 minutes if using frozen gnocchi (8-10 minutes for shelf stable), shaking halfway through for best results. The gnocchi is done when it's golden brown and crispy on the outside.
Serve immediately to maintain crispiness!
Tips for success
- It's important to preheat your air fryer to ensure even cooking and crispy results.
- Make sure to shake the basket halfway through. This is the best way to achieve crispy gnocchi.
- If using frozen gnocchi, don't allow it to thaw before placing in your air fryer, otherwise it will take longer to achieve a crispy exterior.
How to serve
Toss the air fried gnocchi in your favorite sauce or seasonings. Here are a few that go great with gnocchi:
- Smoky cheesy sauce
- Tomato sauce—use your favorite marinara sauce or even cherry tomatoes
- Alfredo sauce
- Garlic powder
- Parmesan cheese (I love this non-dairy parmesan made with nutritional yeast)
- Italian herbs
- Fresh basil leaves
- Drizzle of balsamic glaze
Gnocchi can be served much like pasta with your favorite pasta sauce. In fact, it's easy to just replace the pasta in your favorite recipes with gnocchi! To round out the meal toss the air-fried gnocchi with minced garlic or diced vegetables.
How to store
Store leftover gnocchi in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a few days. If you didn't add your sauce to your entire batch of gnocchi, you can easily reheat it in the air fryer for a few minutes. If you did toss it in sauce, the microwave or stove may be a better option.
Some gnocchi comes frozen but for chilled or shelf stable gnocchi you can freeze after cooking.
No, gnocchi can be air fried from frozen. There's no need to boil first.
Store bought gnocchi can be boiled for a 3-4 minutes if fresh, or 5-6 minutes if frozen. Drain after boiling, but do not rinse.
Although the main ingredient in traditional gnocchi is potato, flour is used as a binder, making in not gluten-free. However, there are some gluten-free gnocchi available. Check the ingredients to be sure. Both the Cauliflower and Kale Gnocchi from Trader Joe's are gluten-free.
More air fryer recipes
Looking for more easy air fryer recipes? Whether you're looking for a quick snack or an easy dinner, here are more must-make recipes:
- For a quick snack that doubles as a party appetizer, this air fryer buffalo cauliflower recipe is the perfect choice!
- Craving fries? An air fryer can easily cook sweet potatoes fries to crispy perfection in minutes!
- Have you tried air fryer tater tots yet? They come out crispy and golden in less time than it takes in the oven!
- Make a side dish with minimal effort and enjoy this air-fried asparagus. It comes out so tender and delicious every time!
- Meal prep easily and enjoy these air fryer sweet potato chunks which are great on their own or for adding to stews, salads, stir fries, and more!
- Lastly, pasta chips are they savory snack you didn't know you needed! It has a satisfactory crunch without any deep frying!
Easy Air Fryer Gnocchi
- air fryer
- 1 package gnocchi
- Preheat your air fryer for 3-5 minutes at 400°F.
- Place gnocchi in the air fryer basket or tray and spread out evenly into a single layer with space in between.
- If cooking from frozen, air fry for 12-14 minutes, shaking halfway through, until gnocchi is golden brown and crispy on the outside. If cooking from shelf-stable, cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your favorite sauce. See recipe post above for ideas.
This air fry gnocchi recipe was originally published on February 5, 2022 and has been updated on July 11th, 2023 with additional tips and information.