This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
This dish a full of flavor yet so easy to make! In fact, it can be made mostly in the microwave!
I had never had risotto before until I visited a restaurant in London. It was super creamy with goat cheese. Also something I had never had before (thanks to growing up in Kansas). So when I first started delving into the vegan diet, I came a cross a vegan cookbook containing the recipe that inspired this. Unfortunately I don’t remember the name of the book!
When I saw this risotto, I knew I had to make it. Though it’s not the same creamy, goat cheesy one I had in London, it still was a delicious meal and one that I love to make often!
Kale with Tomato Risotto
- ½ Pound Kale
- 1 Can (13 oz) Vegetable Broth
- ½ Cup Diced Canned Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion Medium, chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- 1 Cup Arborio Rice Replace with white rice if desired
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast optional
- Wash kale and cut stems off of the leaves. Fill a large pot halfway with water, bring to boil and blanch the kale for 5 to 8 minutes, until tender. Drain and chop the kale.
- Combine the broth and tomatoes in a large skillet and bring the mixture to a boil, then turn down to a low simmer until needed.
- In a 3-quart casserole dish, microwave the onion and garlic in the oil on high for 3 minutes, until the onion is soft.
- Add the rice and stir well to coat it with the flavored oil. Add the hot broth mixture, cover, and microwave on high for 6 to 7 minutes, until boiling.
- Change the setting to medium and continue to cook for 10 minutes, until rice is just tender and the liquid has absorbed.
- Blend in the Nutritional Yeast if desired and stir in the kale, cover and let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.