This JUST Egg Quiche looks and tastes like the real thing! It's also incredibly easy to make, requiring just one bowl and one pan to bake it in for easy kitchen cleanup. It makes a wonderful dish for breakfast, brunch or even dinner!
What is JUST Egg?
Just Egg is an egg-free plant-based alternative made from mung beans. You can find it in the grocery store near the eggs in the refrigerated section.
This yellow liquid scrambles well and can be used as an egg replacement in pretty much anything recipe that calls for eggs, except when you need to separate egg whites and egg yolks. Just Egg is like if the two were mixed together to become an egg scramble.
This post is not sponsored, I just genuinely like the product and find it a convenient vegan egg alternative. Not only is great for quiche but it makes a delicious french toast too!
Just Egg contains oil and while I typically cook oil free, the majority of the product is water and mung beans so I don't worry too much about this. If you prefer to be oil-free, I have an entire article on vegan egg replacements for both cooking and baking. Many of them you probably already have at home.
Here are the main ingredients you need for this easy vegan quiche:
- 1 Just Egg bottle—This is the perfect amount to make one egg-free quiche! The texture is perfect for mimicking the look of real eggs in quiche. I don't recommend using any other egg substitute for this recipe.
- Nutritional yeast—Makes a great cheese substitute. You can also omit or use shredded vegan cheese if you prefer.
- Asparagus—A great Spring vegetable that pairs perfectly in quiche. Feel free to use any produce you have on hand! Zucchini, cherry tomatoes, kale, mushrooms, onion, etc. would all be great in this easy vegan quiche.
- Kala Namak—Also known as black salt gives it an eggy flavor. Use regular salt if you can't find it.
- Nutmeg—This is a traditional seasoning in quiche but a little goes a long way. You don't need more than ⅛ teaspoon to add a depth of flavor to this Just Egg quiche.
- Pre-made pie shell—I used a 9-inch whole wheat pie shell from Wholly Wholesome that's both dairy and egg-free. Any 9-inch store-bought crust will work. Want to make your own crust? Try this vegan gluten-free pie crust is great.
How to make quiche with JUST Egg
The following step-by-step tutorial shows the process of making this vegan Just Egg Quiche. Exact times and temperatures are available in the recipe card below.
Start by preparing the pre-made pie crust. Preheat oven to 400F, if using frozen pie shell, allow to thaw at room temperature for 10-20 minutes, then prick the bottom and sides of the shell with a fork.
Bake for 10-14 minutes until golden edges start to form. Remove from oven and turn down heat to 375F.
Chop veggies. While the crust is baking, wash asparagus, cut off woody ends, and chop into ½ - 1 inch long pieces. Set aside.
Combine quiche filling. In a large bowl, add the entire bottle of Just Egg along with all the seasonings and mix well.
Assemble your quiche. In the baked pie shell, add the sun-dried tomatoes, fresh spinach leaves, and asparagus. Pour over the Just Egg mixture. Top with additional vegetables if desired for decoration.
Bake the just egg quiche. Place on the center rack of the oven on a baking tray for 45-50 minutes. If the crust is getting too dark, cover with a crust protector or strip of aluminum foil to prevent burning. I took mine out after around 35 minutes to cover, then continued baking.
It's done when the quiche is fully set in the center and golden brown. Use a fork or knife to check the center for doneness. If it comes out clean it's done. Remove from oven an allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Quiche is one of those dishes that can be served hot or cold. Feel free to enjoy immediately or store in the refrigerator and save for later.
Just Egg Quiche Variations
The beauty of this Just Egg quiche recipe lies in its adaptability, allowing you to experiment with a variety of ingredients to suit your taste preferences and dietary needs. Here are some tasty variations that will take your quiche game to the next level:
- Vegan Meats - Add your favorite vegan meat alternatives like crumbled vegan sausage or diced vegan bacon. Saute them before incorporating into the filling for an extra layer of flavor and texture.
- Crustless Quiche - If you're looking to cut back on carbs or prefer a gluten-free option, skip the crust completely. The creamy Just Egg filling will shine on its own, showcasing the flavors of your chosen ingredients.
- Silken Tofu Blend - For a protein-packed twist, blend silken tofu with the Just Egg mixture. This not only boosts the protein content but also adds a smooth and velvety texture to the quiche.
- Cheesy Goodness - Enhance the cheesy factor by sprinkling vegan mozzarella on top of your quiche before baking. As it melts, it will create a gooey and satisfying layer that complements the other flavors perfectly.
- Mini Quiches - For an adorable and convenient serving option, transform your quiche into mini versions by baking them in a muffin tin. This is great for on-the-go, portion control, or just an easy appetizer and snack!
- Pre-bake crust - For that oh-so-crispy crust, pre-bake it for a few minutes before adding the filling. This nifty trick helps keep the bottom from getting too soft as your quiche bakes.
- Prevent burnt crust - Worried about over-browning? Lightly tent your quiche with aluminum foil during the last few minutes of baking. This keeps the top looking scrumptious without going too golden.
- Allow the quiche to cool - Give your quiche a little post-bake rest before slicing. This allows the filling to set, ensuring that each slice holds its shape.
This delicious vegan quiche is a perfect brunch recipe, great for a special occasion or whenever you want something filling and delicious! Plate it up like a pro and pair it with some scrumptious sides that will have everyone coming back for seconds.
Serve your quiche with a side of roasted breakfast potatoes or hash browns. Add a protein boost with a side of silken tofu scramble.
For a touch of sweetness, pair your quiche with a vibrant fruit salad. Think juicy berries, citrus segments, and tropical delights like mango and pineapple. The contrast between the sweet fruit and savory quiche is a match made in brunch heaven.
A selection of freshly baked bread or rolls is a fantastic way to round out your meal. Offer whole-grain slices of soda bread, crusty baguettes, or flaky croissants.
How to store
Got leftovers? Pop your cooled quiche in an airtight container and store it in the fridge. Reheat slices in the oven or microwave for a quick and satisfying meal.
Can this vegan quiche be made in advance?
Yes, it's great for meal prep and can be made in advance. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a few days and reheat or serve cold.
Can you make this Just Egg Quiche into mini quiches?
Absolutely! If making into mini quiches using a muffin pan, reduce time to 30 minutes until fully set.
More Vegan Brunch Recipes
Want more JUST Egg recipes? Check out the best Just Egg Recipes here!
Just Egg Quiche with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Asparagus
- ½ bunch asparagus, wood stems trimmed and cut into ½ - 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup spinach, loosely packed, roughly chopped
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bottle JUST Egg
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kala namak, also known as black salt
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- Start by preparing the pie shell if using a pre-made one. Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). If using a frozen pie shell, allow to thaw at room temperature for 10-20 minutes, then prick the bottom and sides with a fork. Bake for 10-14 minutes until golden edges start to form. Remove from oven and turn down heat to 375°F (190°C).1 9-inch pie shell
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables. Wash asparagus, cut off woody ends and chop into ½ - 1 inch long pieces. Roughly chop spinach and sun-dried tomatoes. Set aside.½ bunch asparagus, 1 cup spinach, ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- In a large bowl, add the Just Egg along with all the seasonings and mix well.1 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, 1 bottle JUST Egg, 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon dried basil, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ¼ teaspoon kala namak, ¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- In the baked pie shell, add the sun-dried tomatoes, spinach and asparagus. Pour over the JUST egg mixture. Top with additional vegetables if desired for decoration.
- Bake on the center rack on a baking tray for 45-50 minutes. If the crust is getting too dark, cover with a strip of foil to protect it. I took mine out after around 35 minutes to cover, then continued baking.
- It's done when the quiche is fully set in the center. Use a fork or knife to check the center for doneness. If it comes out clean it's done. Remove from oven an allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Can serve hot or cold.