These vegan scrambled eggs are made with chickpea flour—a great egg-free alternative that's also gluten-free, high in protein and can be made in just 15 minutes!
What is chickpea flour
Chickpea flour, also known as garbanzo flour or gram flour, is exactly how it sounds—flour made from chickpeas!
It's essentially dried chickpeas ground up into a flour and is very easy to make yourself if you have a blender or food processor at home. If you don't, it's becoming more and more popular so I've started seeing it in many major grocery chains or you can find it online.
Why this recipe works
When I first went vegan I wasn't sure how scrambled eggs could be made. Then one day when a friend was in town visiting, she suggested making a tofu scramble. I was skeptical but I love tofu so I already had it on hand. It turned out delicious!
Since becoming vegan I've made it several times but I didn't realized how many ways vegan scrambles could be made. I love a good tofu scramble but if you'd prefer to avoid tofu then a chickpea flour scramble is the way to go!
Chickpea flour can create a great eggy texture and can taste very similar to eggs with the right seasonings.
What makes this chickpea flour scramble so good:
- Tastes like an egg scramble
- Easy and quick to make!
- High in protein
- Tasty and filling
- Easy to customize with different seasonings
This chickpea scramble only requires 8 ingredients but the below ingredients are key. Reference the recipe card at the bottom for exact measurements.
- chickpea flour—the main ingredient that gives it the egg-like texture! I make my own—it's really simple and easy to do.
- turmeric powder—gives a nice yellow color to resemble eggs.
- nutritional yeast—optional but highly recommended to give it a cheesy flavor.
- black salt—aka Kala Namak which gives it an eggy flavor!
I also like adding smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper but you can really add whatever your favorite seasonings are that you would typically add to eggs. Even just salt and pepper is delicious!
How to make
Add all ingredients except the Kala Namak to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. The mixture should have a similar consistency to pancake batter. Some lumps are okay.
In a non-stick pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil, when warm add the batter.
Stir often, cooking for 5-6 minutes until the batter starts to resemble scrambled eggs. To have it cook more evenly, after stirring it around, flatten it out.
Once cooked, turn off the heat and fold in the Kala Namak. Remove from heat and serve warm. Enjoy!
Expert Tips and FAQ's
Use a non stick pan and oil. I know I normally share only oil free recipes on here as I like to cook without oil but this recipe definitely needs it. The batter is quite sticky and will quickly stick to the pan without oil. A good nonstick pan is also key.
Kala Namak (black salt) is key to recreating the eggy flavor. Just make sure to only add it towards the end of cooking. If you add it too early the eggy flavor can cook off so best to fold in last for ultimate egg-like flavor.
If you can't find chickpea flour or don't want to make your own, you can use tofu instead. Drain tofu, then crumble it into the pan. The benefit of tofu is no oil is needed. Skip the whisking step and just add everything to the pan until heated through (except for the Kala Namak). Stir in the Kala Namak last to preserve the egg-like flavor it provides.
What to serve with chickpea flour scramble
I like serving it over toast but this time I went with a Tex-Mex style and added chopped tomatoes and cilantro along with a side of black beans and avocado. Then squeezed some lime juice over it for some zing.
It perfectly replaces scrambled eggs so feel free to serve it with your favorite traditional breakfast sides. I love it with these egg-free pancakes!
How to store
Store any leftover chickpea scramble in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
More vegan breakfast recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe please leave a comment below and give it 5 stars! Or on Pinterest (don’t forget to follow me!) and please help me share on facebook!
The BEST Chickpea Flour Scramble
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-2 tablespoon nutritional yeast, optional
- ⅛ teaspoon salt and black pepper, each
- ¼ teaspoon kala namak
- Add all ingredients except the Kala Namak to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. The mixture should have a similar consistency to pancake batter.
- In a non-stick pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil, when warm add the batter. Stir often, cooking for 5-6 minutes until the batter starts to resemble scrambled eggs. To have it cook more evenly, after stirring it around, flatten it out.
- Once cooked, turn off the heat and fold in the Kala Namak. Remove from heat and serve warm.
Leave a Reply