Sometimes you have a hankering for pancakes and these puppies do not disappoint! They’re fluffy and filling, made with whole wheat flour, and are both oil free and dairy free!
This recipe has quickly become my go-to recipe for pancakes and you’ll quickly see why. It’s incredibly easy and quick and they come out perfect every time.
Any time I have guests over I treat them to these pancakes for breakfast. They’re a crowd pleaser. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, even brinner (breakfast for dinner)!
How to make
You’ll just need 8 simple ingredients:
- whole wheat flour
- coconut sugar
- baking powder
- almond milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
- apple sauce
- vanilla extract
- cinnamon & nutmeg
I like using whole wheat flour but if you prefer gluten-free you can use oat flour. Can’t find oat flour? Simply blitz some rolled oats in a food processor until it becomes a flour-like consistency.
I’ve found that most vegan versions of pancakes tend to replace the eggs with oil. This does work but I prefer to use whole foods whenever possible. That’s why I use apple sauce instead. It’s the perfect replacement because it also brings an extra touch of sweetness to the batter.
Once you have all of your ingredients, you’ll simply mix them all together in a mixing bowl. Some small lumps are fine, you don’t have to make it perfectly smooth. Adjust seasonings as desired.
Then you’ll use a non-stick pan to cook these oil free. If you don’t have a non-stick pan you can use a spray oil to coat the pan lightly. Use about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake and spread it out in the pan to desired thickness. Cook on each side until golden.
How to serve
I personally love my pancakes with a drizzle of pure maple syrup (AKA the best thing ever). It’s much better flavor-wise than the corn syrup versions and is much better for you!
If you want to avoid syrups you could opt for natural peanut butter or almond butter spread on top. Or even some jam or fruit preserves.
I also love to add lots of fresh fruit on top. Berries like blueberries, blackberries, or strawberries are delicious on top. I also like adding slices of bananas.
If you enjoyed this recipe please leave a comment below and give it 5 stars! Or on Pinterest (don’t forget to follow me!) you can now add pictures into reviews, too, and be sure to help me share on facebook!
If you’re looking for more easy, healthy recipes the Health My Lifestyle Meal Planner is full of them! You can easily narrow down exactly what you’re looking for with the extensive filtering options, plan out your week in seconds or grab a pre-made plan, track your calories and goals, and more! Right now it’s 40% off your first month! Check out the Meal Planner here.
Easy Vegan Pancakes
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups almond milk (or any plant milk)
- 4 tablespoons apple sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A few hearty dashes cinnamon & nutmeg (to taste)
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk well.
- In a non-stick pan over medium-low heat, spoon out one pancake worth of batter at a time (about 4 inches in diameter). The batter may come out a little thick so feel free to spread it out once spooned into the pan to make thinner pancakes. Flip the pancake over when you see bubbles forming on top or the sides have stiffened enough. Continue cooking until golden-brown. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve warm, topped with maple syrup and fresh fruit! Enjoy!