Want a meaty sandwich without the meat? This epic sandwich is going to blow your mind! Seitan (vital wheat gluten) gives it a meat-like texture that satisfies and boasts a whopping 46 grams of protein!
If you've never tried seitan before, get ready to have your mind blown! It's a popular meat replacement among vegans and vegetarians because it can take on the texture of different types of meat depending on how it's prepared.
What is seitan?
It's made from vital wheat gluten—essentially a flour made of gluten, the main protein in wheat. Vital wheat gluten is made by washing wheat flour dough with water to remove the starch granules, leaving behind the insoluble gluten. No need to wash your own flour though, you can buy vital wheat gluten already prepared and ready to use.
How to make seitan
The process is ridiculously simple. It's similar to making bread, only easier.
You start with your vital wheat gluten flour, add your seasonings to give it flavor, and liquids to form a dough.
You don't need to knead it for very long, just until everything comes together and it becomes stretchy.
Flatten it out on a lined baking tray until it's about a half inch thick. Bake for 35 minutes until it has a sturdy texture. Slice into strips, then assemble your sandwich!
Copious amounts of BBQ sauce make this sandwich extra saucy and delicious. Smear your desired amount on one slice of bread, smear mustard on the other. Then add the seitan strips, avocado, onion and tomatoes slices, top it with lettuce and an extra drizzle of BBQ sauce if that's your style. Enjoy!
Other ways to use seitan
I love a seitan vegan sandwich when you want something filling and delicious. It's the ultimate grub food! However, the beauty of seitan is it is so versatile.
Here are some extra ways to use these seitan strips:
- Seitan wings dipped directly into your favorite sauce
- Chopped and added to salads and pastas
- Chopped and added to vegan scrambles
- Sliced and added to wraps
More vegan meat recipes
For more plant-based eats check out the Health My Lifestyle Meal Planner. It makes plant-based eating effortless with easy recipes and simple customizable meal plans designed for busy people! Try for free!
If you enjoyed this recipe please leave a comment below and give it 5 stars! Or on Pinterest (don’t forget to follow me!) you can now add pictures into reviews, too, and be sure to help me share on facebook!
Epic BBQ Seitan Sandwich
For the seitan:
For the sandwich:
- 12 slices whole grain bread
- 2 cups lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 avocado, sliced
- ½ cup red onion, sliced
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Knead the dough until it becomes elastic. Basically until everything is well incorporated and the dough becomes stretchy.
- Place the dough on a pre-greased baking tray (or line with parchment paper) and flatten out to ½ inch thick.
- Bake the seitan for about 35-40 minutes until it has a sturdy texture.
- Allow to cool a bit to avoid burning yourself, then slice the seitan into strips. Cut 9 lines across the width and one down the middle lengthwise to make 18 total strips (if not adjusting servings).
- Assemble your sandwich to your liking with the rest of the ingredients and add the seitan.
- This recipe as is makes 6 sandwiches.
Nutrition Per Serving
Pin this for later: