This post may contain affiliate links. Read my policy page for more information.
Your favorite candy bar turned into a healthy and delicious breakfast! Made with mostly whole food ingredients to recreate the delicious combination of coconut, almonds and chocolate that make up Almond Joys. Make your morning more joyful!
Too cheesy? I can’t help it—these really are a joy! I loved Almond Joys growing up but haven’t had one since going vegan. However, now I can enjoy the taste again every morning if I want to! I love it so much that I also made an Almond Joy Smoothie—double down and make both!
These overnight oats are the perfect make-ahead breakfast when you’re on the go. If you know me, you know I’m a huge fan of meal prepping. Just check out the Health My Lifestyle Meal Planner to see what I mean! It saves me so much time and energy by having healthy meals at my fingertips that are easy to meal prep.
What are overnight oats?
They’re just a fancy way of saying overnight oatmeal, or meal prepped oatmeal. They provide so much convenience because you can prep them the night before or even several days in advance. And the best part? No cooking necessary!
All you do is mix it up in a sealable container and store it in the refrigerator for at least a few hours. It softens up enough during that time that you don’t need to heat it. However, you totally can if cold oats aren’t your jam.
What type of oats are best for overnight oats?
The best oats for overnight oats are rolled oats, also known as old fashion oats. Rolled oats have been steamed and pressed through a roller to flatten them—hence the name. Because of this they absorb liquid more easily, making them the perfect candidate.
You can also use quick oats. I don’t find these as hearty but it does make for an even smoother, creamy texture. And it’s even faster for soaking than rolled oats! You could have delicious overnight oats ready in just one hour instead!
I do not recommend steel-cut oats for this as they will not become soft enough. However, you could precook them to soften them for this, but then that just defeats the purpose of having convenient overnight oats, right? Or, if you want a crunchy texture, just add them as is without precooking but give them at least 8 hours to soak.
Are oats gluten free?
Oats are naturally gluten-free but people with Celiac’s Disease should select varieties that are certified gluten-free to avoid those that may have been contaminated with gluten during processing.
I always tag my recipes made with oats as gluten-free but I wanted to clarify that in case anyone is gluten intolerant or has Celiac’s. Always check with the brand because this will vary.
Ingredients you will need for Almond Joy Overnight Oats
These oats are actually quite simple and only require 8 ingredients:
- certified gluten-free rolled oats
- unsweetened non-dairy milk – I used almond milk
- chia seeds
- canned coconut milk
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- pure maple syrup
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- dairy free chocolate chips (optional but highly recommended for a nice chocolate drizzle)
You do get enough of the chocolate flavor with the cocoa powder but there’s just something about a drizzle of chocolate on top that makes it extra special.
More delicious overnight oat recipes
- If you’re craving more candy for breakfast, this Snicker Overnight Oats recipe is calling your name!
- Love Reese’s Pieces? This Peanut Butter Overnight Oats taste just like it with a secret ingredient!
- Transport to paradise with this tropical-inspired Coconut Overnight Oats.
- For a filling breakfast that will keep you satiated all morning long, try these Protein Overnight Oats.
- Keep it simple and make Frozen Fruit Overnight Oats that don’t require any washing or chopping!
- Feeling celebratory? Make these Birthday Cake Flavored Overnight Oats!
If you’re looking for more healthy breakfast ideas the Health My Lifestyle Meal Planner is full of them! You can easily narrow down exactly what you’re looking for with the extensive filtering options, plan out your week in seconds or grab a pre-made plan, track your calories and goals, and more! Right now it’s 40% off your first month! Check out the Meal Planner here.
If you enjoyed this recipe please leave a comment below and give it 5 stars! Or on Pinterest (don’t forget to follow me!) you can now add pictures into reviews, too, and be sure to help me share on facebook!
Vegan Almond Joy Overnight Oats
- ½ cup rolled oats *
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons canned coconut milk
- ½ tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut topping
- 1 tablespoon almonds chopped, topping
- 1 tablespoon dairy free chocolate chips optional, topping, melted
- In a sealable container, whisk together all ingredients except for the toppings.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight to let the oats and chia seeds absorb the liquid and thicken.
- Top with chopped almonds, shredded coconut, and optional drizzle of chocolate when ready to serve.
Pin this for later: